[nsp] What WIC to use with E1 service

Krzysztof Adamski k at adamski.org
Sat May 8 09:55:58 EDT 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 09:00:19PM -0700, atticus at satanic.org wrote:
> > That VWIC can do framed (crc4 or non-crc4) and unframed (G.703). If you
> > can arrange it, see if you can get the circuit provisioned as unframed (if
> > you have to go framed, you can save a bit by just going w/ VWIC-1MFT-E1).
>
> If the circuit is provided by Deutsche Telekom, "framed" is the better
> choice - DTAG claims they can't do remote troubleshooting on the
> unframed E1 lines, so each time the line has problems, fixing it will
> take much more time.
>
> Other carriers (COLT, for example) usually deliver "unframed" only
> anyway...

The circuit is being delivered in Belgium by FranceTelecom.
On my end it is delivered by 360, and it looks like the people that I'm
dealing with have not done this before, so extracting recommendations from
them is difficult. Every answer has "this should work" instead of "this
will work".
Here are the options that 360 told are available:

E1: G.703/G.704 framed or G.703 unframed
hence framing options: CRC4 or NO-CRC4
coding: AMI or HDB3 (HDB3 most common for data)

The E1 will be used just for data and will terminate on a T1 on my end.
The other mystery is how will the E1 be changed into T1 on my end?