[nsp] GRP reloads after adding new BGP neighbor

Eric Osborne eosborne at cisco.com
Wed May 12 14:55:26 EDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:21:34 -0600, Valencia, Scott
<Scott.Valencia at level3.com> wrote:

> Has anyone ran into this same bug:
>
> CSCea46372
> Externally found severe defect: Resolved (R)
> GRP may reload due to bus error at bgp_neighbor_indexing
>
> The fix is in 12.0.25S2.

It is also in 12.0(26)S1 and 12.0(24)S4, if that helps.  And in 12.2(20)S,
I believe.

> It occurs when adding a new BGP neighbor to a box with Neighbors
> running. Can anyone from Cisco tell me a condition that triggers it
> since it does not occur all the time?

I used the Bug Toolkit on CCO, and it told me

---
Symptoms: A Cisco router may reload when you add Border Gateway Protocol
(BGP)
neighbor statements to the configuration.

Conditions: This symptom is observed on a Cisco router that runs Cisco IOS
Release 12.0 S or Release 12.2 S when BGP neighbors are added by using a
script
that adds the BGP neighbors at a much faster rate than manual addition, and
when a large BGP table is already present on the router before the script
adds
the BGP neighbors.

Workaround: There is no workaround.
---

I have no first-hand experience with this bug, but from what I see in the
internal bug notes, that looks about right.  So at a guess, if you were
cutting and pasting a config with a large number of neighbors (FSVO
'large', I suppose), just do them one at a time.  But that's just a
guess.  blah blah disclaimer blah blah contact your support representative
blah blah blah etc...:)

eric