[nsp] HSRP with 4 GB ethernet and 2 class C address block

Joe Shen jshen at christmas.9966.org
Thu May 13 09:24:44 EDT 2004

Hi,

We  want to set up a resilent internet connection between backbone and
outing
going network by using  4 GB ethernet.
It's demanded that  the four GB ethernet connection are grouped into two
GB
channels ( two work horse + two backup), HSRP + STP are requirement to
enable
system reliablity.  It's also expected to use 8 IP addresses for network

interconnection between backbone and outgoing network.

We plan to provide such service by using GB interfaces on two catalyst
6509.
But, to my understanding  if the two GB channels are configured with
2*4
interconnection IP addresses, STP is not required between our  switches
and
 customer's switches.  And, the two GB channel could participate  two
HSRP
groups, and acts  as primary and standby sequently.

                        GB
 Catalyst6509-A ===================== Catalyst6509-B    <- outgoing
layer (layer2+layer3)
    ||					 ||
    ||  2GB Channel                      || 2GB Channel
    ||		       2GB               ||
 Catalyst    ====================    Catalyst   <-Core layer( maybe only
layer2 )
                network with two class C address

To the topology above, I think  the 8 interconnection IP addresses are
not
required . But, if the two GB channels are  configured into one VLAN,
the  number of of host in one collision domain will be 2*256, this will
surely
 derive to broadcast storm.   I don't know how to set up IP routing in
Layer
3 of 6509-A and 6509-B either.

How could it done?

Each word will be highly appreciated.