[nsp] route-reflector setup questoins

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue May 18 16:03:55 EDT 2004

> I have a network that's loosely like this:
>
> RouterA (Transit)
>   | OC48
> RouterB ---- RouterC (Transit)
>   \             /
> [other ibgp routers]
>
> B and C are fully meshed with each other and all the other ibgp speakers.
> All are on the same network.  My intention is to have B and C as route
> reflectors.
>
> A is only connected to B.  I'd like to keep things simple and have A just
> peer with B.  I had configs similiar to below.  However, I noticed that ebgp
> routes learned on A were passed to B but B did not pass to C.  Do A and C
> also need to peer and does A need to be a RR client as well?

You can either get A to peer with C, or you can make C a route reflector
client also (but then B is a single point of failure). It seems to make
the most sense to make A a route reflector client of C in addition to B.

As you have observed, an update to from A to B will not be propagated to
C - this is standard IBGP propapagation rules.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no