[nsp] ARP errors!!!!

james at thehamptonfamily.us james at thehamptonfamily.us
Tue May 25 15:20:32 EDT 2004

We didnt have proxy-arp, but what we do have is an Ethernet port on the
router b with a bunch of secondary addresses instead of vlans (I know this
is real ugly but I inherited this mess and its on my list of things to
re-design). This means that its one big broadcast domain. They used to
have one of the 209.45.x.x addresses on the "router a" side but removed it
last night because it was no longer in use, this is likley when the
problems started. This had had the effect of making things work but for
the wrong reason, when a request came in for 209.45.x.x "router a" saw
that it had an entry in its arp table and thought the route was directly
connected and didnt use the default route, when there was a 209.45.x.x
host on the ethernet port "router a" sent the traffic through that
ethernet port, when that was removed the router didnt use the default
route like it should because it still had 209.45.x.x addresses in its arp
table. I think this is what was happening, i have plenty of work ahead to
staighten things out.

james