[nsp] Cisco Router Rebooting

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Wed May 26 10:13:52 EDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Anson Rinesmith wrote:

> I have a Cisco Router that I just installed, and it constantly reboots.
>
> The following is the crashinfo with only IP address's changed to protect the
> innocent.

I'm not 100% sure what the issue is in this case, but I'd make one of
three guesses:

1) the router _really_ doesn't like one of the port adapters
2) something on the midplane or NPE is hosed
3) an IOS bug of some sort is causing the reboots

I saw you were running IOS 12.3(3).  Is there a specific reason you need
to run this code?  Was the code upgraded recently and did the router run
more reliably with the older code on it?

I saw similar behavior in a router running 12.3(5).  It would reload
itself frequently.  I suspect it was a NAT-related bug.  I upgraded that
router to 12.3(6) and it's been fine since.

If you have a support contract with Cisco I'd definitely suggest opening a
case with the TAC to troubleshoot further.

jms