[c-nsp] MTU DSL Termination question

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 2 02:50:49 EST 2004

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 02:08:31PM -0800, Roger Weeks wrote:
> Anyone of you who's terminating DSL using RBE on Cisco equipment:
>
> Have you had to do any monkeying with MTUs?

Just set it to 1500 (otherwise large packets coming from ATM or serial
interfaces will be lost).

> Most of the DSL modems/bridges out there seem to be set for an MTU of
> less than 1500 - the number varies depending on manufacturer.

This sounds very broken to me.  Ethernet MTU is 1500, and any device that
cannot do this is plain broken.

The stuff we use over here handles full-sized ethernet frames just fine,
so this is one of the areas without any MTU trouble (as opposed to the
PPPoE/L2TP terminated DSL circuits).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de