[c-nsp] Non-Cisco memory.

Brian Lehigh brianl at sti.net
Wed Nov 3 12:02:40 EST 2004

John,
I am in the same boat as you.  I spoke with our Cisco rep after the last
time I received a piece of replacement memory from Cisco and it had the
Crucial Technologies sticker still on it.  The packing slip claimed the cost
was $2000.  After checking the Crucial site I saw that the same stick of
memory sold for $50.  What a joke!  I can understand Cisco needing to mark
up parts but this is ridiculous.
Anyway, according to our rep it does not void the warranty as long as you
use Cisco approved memory.  The worst case scenario is if you need to send
the Cisco device in for service there is a chance that they'll yank the non
Cisco approved memory from the box before sending it back to you.
>From what I have seen, Cisco generally using Kingston or Crucial memory.
I hope this helps.

Brian Lehigh
Network Operations Center