[c-nsp] RE: Unknown reason for High CPU 3620

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Fri Nov 5 10:00:27 EST 2004

I've had some (too much?) experience with L2TPv3 lately. I can tell you a
few things.

a) on the 7xxx platform you want to run 12.0S -- especially if you need
interworking (ie, ethernet on one side, atm or VLAN on the other).

b) We have several of these installed with 7500 on one end, and either
1700 or 2600 on the 'far' end. Works well. Even fraggin works correctly
(fragging of the l2tp frames themselves, to encapsulate a 1500 byte frame
inside it).

A very basic diagram:

	http://www.nac.net/basic-l2tpv3.gif

I've been told the above 'shouldn't work' by cisco, because apparently if
you are doing interworking, you need interworking on both ends. But, it
works.

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex at nac.net, latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --