[c-nsp] WIC-4ESW world's smallest Catalyst?

Bradley Urberg Carlson carlson at tcfreenet.org
Fri Nov 5 12:49:27 EST 2004

I have need of a really small switch, say 2 10/100 trunk ports to
separate Catalysts, and one 10/100 uplink to a C3640.  From some
snippets of config I've seen, it appears as though the WIC-4ESW is a
sort-of 5-port "Cat-on-a-card," and I was wondering if I might use such
a WIC in the 3640, instead of using a Catalyst switch external to the
C3640.

I'm wondering whether the 4ESW ports can be configured as trunk ports
to other switches, with the WIC card acting as just another switch in a
STP mesh.

I'm unable to find any inter-port performance info on the WIC.  Has
anyone tried running line-rate between switched WIC ports (that is,
traffic which is switched between trunk ports, rather than being routed
at layer 3 by the host router)?

BTW, I would need to configure a few dozen VLANs on the "uplink"
pseudo-port into the host C3640, with per VLAN rate-limit, QoS and
occaisionally an access-list.

Bradley