[c-nsp] Static NAT and route-maps

Phillip Vandry vandry at TZoNE.ORG
Fri Nov 5 16:45:09 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 12:33:27PM -0800, Matt Stevens wrote:
> My problem is with hosts given a static translation. If I give an inside
> host two statics, one out of each providers address space, I can only
> access the host with the static from the current primary (default
> routed) provider.

If you can't get it to work, you might try this workaround.

Assign two private IPs to each of the servers. Have the servives bind
to both IP addresses (or INADDR_ANY). NAT connections from ISP1 to
private address 1 and connections from ISP2 to private address 2.
Use policy routing to source route traffic from private address 1 to
ISP1 and traffic from private address 2 to ISP2. (The server's "main"
IP address, which could be yet a third private address, can follow
the default route to whichever ISP is active).

-Phil