[c-nsp] WIC-4ESW world's smallest Catalyst?

Łukasz Bromirski lbromirski at mr0vka.eu.org
Fri Nov 5 17:17:24 EST 2004

Tom wrote:

 > This is not as powerful a solution as you would hope.  The bus in
 > the 1700 routers is only capable of 10Mbps speed so you will not
 > see much performance between the built in 10/100 port and the
 > wic-4esw card.  We discovered this hidden in the Cisco literature
 > after buying a 1721 and this card last year.

Yes, but if You do routing between ports on the WIC, You'll get
maximum for the platform, which is around 16kpps. I know, because I
tested both scenarios. The bus between interface slots in new routers
(18xx, 28xx, 38xx) is faster.

And hey, routing for 17xx platform is plainly stated on Cisco sites
as few times less than 3640 (rated for fast switching at 50-60kpps). And
another point - if routing for Ethernet is the key requirement, go buy a
3550 or higher L3 switch. You'll spare CPU cycles for other work.

--
this space was intentionally left blank    |              Łukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here   |          lukasz:bromirski,net