[c-nsp] HSRP question

Ivan Groenewald ivang2 at xtrahost.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 07:27:13 EST 2004

Changing the group number changes the virtual/standby MAC. Connecting
devices need to update their arp tables.

You could manually clear arp on all connected devices when you change the
group number to force a very quick update.

However, a bit more practical... I assume you are using the HSRP "standby
ip"/virtual address as gateway for other devices on your network. Depending
on your config, you could possibly point the connect devices to one of the
"router-pairs"'s real IP addresses for the HSRP vlan in question. After you
updated the HSRP group numbers you can point it back to the virtual IP
again.

hth
ivan

Tel: 0845 345 0919
Xtraordinary Hosting, 6 The Clocktower, South Gyle, Edinburgh, EH12 9LB
http://www.xtrahost.co.uk