[c-nsp] Measuring SYNs to Configre CAR

FXCM - Brandon Palmer bpalmer at fxcm.com
Wed Nov 10 08:21:47 EST 2004

I thinks CEF can do that for you,  but.....

Rate limiting SYNS will NOT help you in the case of a SYN flood,  the
amount of PPS that is seen in a synflood can totally swamp legit
traffic.  My normal PPS rate w/ is around 40kpps.  An attack can be
easily 900kpps+,  where do you limit?  If 100kpps,  then only 1/9th of
your legit traffic can get through.

- Brandon

>>> Kim Onnel <karim.adel at gmail.com> 11/10/2004 5:53:15 >>>
Dear List,

I would like to configure CAR to rate limit TCP syns and ICMP
echo/echo-replies to limit DDoS attacks.

I would like to know the common way to measure the amount of SYNs i
should allow, and ICMPs,

Knowing we are an ISP with Webhosting servers and ADSL/SDSL...

Should i place the rate limit on the internet gateway uplink interface
?

Any known cavetas of rate limiting TCP syns or ICMPs

Also, during a DDoS attack, would the attacker SYNs overwhelm the
legitimate ones ?

Kind Regards,
~Ahmed

--