[c-nsp] PVLAN support

Mike Bacher isp-list at tulsaconnect.com
Fri Nov 12 09:12:35 EST 2004

I've been reading up on ways to use dot1q VLANs to isolate our Co-lo customers
from one another (they are currently sharing the same subnet).  I came across an
interesting Cisco feature called PVLAN (Private VLAN) that seems to be an
alternative to doing dot1q and might work better in our environment.

My question is, what are the pros/cons of using PVLAN vs dot1q?  Also, I've seen
conflicting data on what Cisco switches support PLVAN -- one document:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/90.shtml

..says that it is supported in the 2948G-L3,

"PVLANs are available on the Catalyst 6000 running CatOS 5.4 or later, on the
Catalyst 4000, 2980G, 2980G-A, 2948G, and 4912G running CatOS 6.2 or later"

but another:

..says it isn't..

Mike Bacher / isp-list at tulsaconnect.com
TCIS - TulsaConnect Internet Services
Phone: 918-584-1100x110 Fax: 918-582-5776