[c-nsp] PVLAN support

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Nov 12 09:35:07 EST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Mike Bacher wrote:

> My question is, what are the pros/cons of using PVLAN vs dot1q?  Also, I've
> seen conflicting data on what Cisco switches support PLVAN -- one document:

PVLANs are an interesting idea, and useful in some environments, but they
impose some annoying limitations.  Those limitations could vary, depending
on your environment.

Many blades for the cat6k series, such as the 48-port 10/100 TX blades,
use one ASIC or ASIC group per block of ports.  On the 48-port 10/100 TX
blades, there is one ASIC for each block of 12 ports.  I've found in the
past that when you configure a port to be in a PVLAN, other ports in the
same ASIC group can no longer:
1. do etherchannel
2. be configured as span ports

It may also interfere with trunk ports in the same ASIC group, but I
didn't extensively test that.

jms