[c-nsp] Cisco Layer 3 Switch Recommendation

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN Delbert.Hudson at LOSANGELES.AF.MIL
Fri Nov 12 11:14:03 EST 2004

Jon

your first paragraph sumns it up, everything after that is a result of sales
and mktg hype.

~piranha

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net]On Behalf Of Jon Allen Boone
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 2:44 PM
To: Randy Bush
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Cisco Layer 3 Switch Recommendation

On Nov 11, 2004, at 16:35, Randy Bush wrote:

> ok, i gotta ask.  'switches' do layers 3 & 4 (bgp, ...).  'routers
> do layer 2 (atm, atmv2, ...).  so what is the technical difference
> between a router and a switch?

I think that definition has changed over time (and will continue to do
so).

   It used to be that Layer 3/4 switches were *really* layer 2 switches
with bags on the side to support some limited amount of Layer 3
inter-operability.  They allegedly offered "expedited" forwarding by
looking deeper into packet structures prior to making the forwarding
decisions.  Routers, conversely were *really* layer 3 devices with
various bags on the side to support limited Layer 2 switching
functionality.  They offered more robust layer 3 inter-operability
features and performed layer 2 switching functionality in a
low-performance way.

   This model was, I believe, driven by the economics of chip
production.  Switches used more specialized chips that were expensive,
unless produced in bulk.  Routers tended to use more general purpose
chips that were already produced in bulk due to their general purpose
nature.  By GP here, I really mean that someone other than the router
vendor was using them, as the volume used by the router vendor didn't
make it cost effective to use customized chips extensively.

   With the advent of low-cost special-purpose ASICs, we began to see
the convergence of routers and switches.  At the same time, we saw an
enormous amount of vendor consolidation, so one company would tend to
sell both routers and switches.  So the definition changed to be:
switches were hardware oriented around special purpose ASICs with a
thin software shim and big interface memory buffers, while routers were
hardware oriented around special purpose ASICS with lots of software
running on top and limited interface memory buffers.

   In the future, I think the big differentiator will be the quality of
the software, as the hardware will be virtually indistinguishable.
Switches will have very robust, but low-feature software.  Routers will
have lots of features and lots of bugs.  The future is NOW!

--jon