[c-nsp] Cisco Layer 3 Switch Recommendation

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Fri Nov 12 12:17:47 EST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Scott Weeks wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN wrote:
>
> : i dont remember who stated that 'switchs do l3 and routers do L2.
> :
> : wrong!!!
>

> The person that said that was doing tongue-in-cheek w/o putting a smiley
> face a the end of the email.  I am pretty sure randy knows a little bit
> about the differences in LAN switching and routing.  Just a little... :-)
>
> c'mon, it was fun for a while, but this is getting silly.  For the new-b
> folks, just think of the functionality of the various *parts* of the box.
> A router segments an address space and forwards packets between them.  A
> LAN switch broadcasts frames to every node within one of those segmented
> address spaces.  If performance becomes an issue, talk to the SE of the
> vendor about what you're trying to do, not the marketing person.  Leave it
> to the mgmt folks to talk to the marketing droids.  They speak the same
> language.

It's even easier in my mind; this thread is two more posts away from being
ridiculous:

1) Something that can shuttle packets between multiple interfaces on layer
2 is a switch.
2) Something that can shuttle packets between multiple interfaces on layer
3 is a router.
3) Something that can shuttle packets between multiple interfaces on
either layer 2 or layer 3 is thus both a switch and a router, and can be
referred to by either term.

Don't let marketing get in the way of simple logic.

Andy

---
Andy Dills
Xecunet, Inc.