[c-nsp] 2811 usage scenario

Mike Byrne cisco-nsp at spam.turbolink.net
Fri Nov 12 14:24:30 EST 2004

Hi all,

I'm looking at possibly replacing an existing 3640 with a 2811.

We use the 3640 for FE-FE (NM-2FE-2W) and FE-ATM (NM-1A-T3) routing, and
while the 3800 series seems like more of an upgrade, the 2811 seems like
it should do what we need.

The reason we're looking for a replacement, though, is because the CPU on
the 3640 gets maxxed out occasionally (bridge traffic across ATM PVCs).
The usage is almost all interrupt-driven, and we're maxxing out at about
10mbps on the DS3 now before the CPU is at 100%.

So the question is if the 2811 (or 2821?) can do better.  We need the
bridging (irb) and can't switch to rbe anytime soon.  I'd like something
that can do 20-25mbps on the T3 to hold us over for a while.  Is this
realistic with the 2800 series?

Going by the published kpps ratings for the 3640 and the 2811 it seems
like a huge improvement, but without any published process switched kpps
ratings it's very hard to tell.

Thanks for any input...

- Mike