[c-nsp] PIX error using fixup smtp

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Fri Nov 12 16:39:46 EST 2004

If you send EHLO test.com to a server protected by fixup smtp, it will
convert this to "XXXX test.com".

This is not speculation, this is known by actually dumping the packet
conversation and examing it.

A mail server will, and should, per RFC821, respond with 502 (5.5.1) or
the likes, when it encounters such as command.

If it responded with 250, then yes it would be broke in that respect.

also realize, my message was simply pointing out a problem I was
seeing, a low level problem, in fixup smtp.

There is a large mis/dis information campaign out there on "fixup
protocol" and that in itself bothers me.  It would seem
that alot of people out there confuse the terms SMTP and ESMTP, and
somehow got in there head that fixup smtp had
anything to do with ESMTP.

If you really think smtp fixup sends NOOP instead of EHLO you may want
to check that, because thats not at least how
current fixup does this.

Brian