[c-nsp] PIX error using fixup smtp

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Nov 13 07:18:13 EST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 05:47:08PM -0600, Brian Feeny wrote:
> Thats like putting an ACL on your Serial interface that says "permit
> tcp only" and then complaining that it breaks udp.

Well.  Point taken.

> When you put "fixup protocol smtp" on the PIX, your putting a filter on
> that port, a filter that is only going to allow SMTP commands.  Since
> ESMTP is not SMTP, they will not be allowed.  Some people think that
> its job is just to inspect SMTP commands, but in reality its a filter
> and will only allow SMTP.

Well.  That's a design decision, of course.

But I still find it questionable - while it may be documented that it's
"restricting things on port 25 to plain SMTP", I still want to ask
"is that a useful thing to do, 9 years after the standardization of
ESMTP"?

Overly eager firewalls *hurt* - I field "fixup smtp" in the same bin
as "deny icmp any any".  It might cause a warm and fuzzy feeling, but
takes away useful functionality.

(Note that I'm not trying to attack anybody, just trying to explain my
feelings about this)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de