[c-nsp] Layer2/3 Question - 6509

Paul Stewart pauls at nexicom.net
Mon Nov 15 22:22:47 EST 2004

Hi there..

We have a 6509, 7513, and 3640 (in this particular case).

My question may seem stupid but here goes.

On the 6509 we have a bunch of servers all connected to GigE ports.
Between the 6509 and 7513 we have GigE fiber.  Between the 6509 and 3640
is FE.

The servers are layer2 only on the 6509 with the actual Layer3 handled
by the 7513.  If data is being transferred from server to server (same
VLAN, same subnet) does the traffic actually pass *through* the 7513?
My reason for asking is that we are looking at moving a few VLAN's over
to subinterfaces on the 3640 but I need GigE speeds between the servers,
yet only 30 Mb/s out to the "outside world" which would be the 3640
possibly.

Not sure if that made sense but I just don't want GigE to GigE traffic
actually passing through a FE interface defeating the purpose....

Thanks,

Paul