[c-nsp] BGP Architecture Question

Olav Langeland olav.langeland at active24.com
Wed Nov 17 07:18:09 EST 2004

Here are some links from cisco.com about BGP, second one is a
configuration example for multihoming (which is what you want):
http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/PSP/psp_view.pl?p=Internetworking:
BGP

Internal setup can be done with HSRP on the LAN interfaces on your
routers, and iBGP between your routers. This will mean that some traffic
goes twice in your network since it can go Firewall -> HSRP IP to
Router1 -> iBGP decides it should go out via second router -> Router2 ->
Internet. But it will give you redundancy, if Router1 goes down the HSRP
is taken over by Router2 and traffic will continue to flow.

If this is acceptable depends on your network and how much traffic you
have, but it's a decent design solution. For doing more with load
sharing on outbound traffic there are several ways of achieving this
including localpref
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/tk80/technologies_configuration_e
xample09186a00800945bf.shtml#conf5).

Regards,