[c-nsp] 7500 / Images w/o ethernet support?

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Sun Nov 21 17:31:54 EST 2004

>> With 12.0S, IOS on a 64-Mb VIP2 leaves about 36 Mb "free" (dCEF disabled
>> due to memory pressure).  As 12.2(25)S has much more features in it,
>> chances are good that it will not fit into 32 Mb VIP2 memory anymore -
>> indeed.
>>
>> In this case, there *should* be something on the serial console while
>> the
>> router is booting...
> 	Yea:
> 		SYSTEM INIT: INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO BOOT THE IMAGE!

Must not have seen this post before writing my earlier reply... Sounds
like you *are* out of memory on the VIP2(s), so that's probably your
problem. I had thought the unit would still be at least *reported* by IOS,
but not be useable. Interesting...

Anyway, the VIP2-40 as originally shipped had 2 MB SRAM (and this is the
max, you can't upgrade it), and 32 MB of DRAM (which can be upgraded to 64
MB). We have several VIP2-40's running with 64 MB DRAM, and the upgrades
are inexpensive and available from several memory places -- I think we got
ours from Crucial.

It might be worth mentioning that our VIP2-40's were using a lot of the 64
MB they had, and only had maybe 4-8 MB free. Most of that was route table
stuff (the routers take full BGP feeds from several peers). We have
replaced many of them with VIP2-50's for fear that they will eventually
run out of room, and current trends in the increase in prefixes we receive
from our peers are kinda scary... Right around this Febuary the rate of
increase seems to have sped up. I put the graph of BGP prefixes at one of
our cores at http://www.waveform.net/bgp/ for anyone who wants to see it.

     -Bill