[c-nsp] Growing BGP tables

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Sun Nov 21 17:42:37 EST 2004

On 19/11/2004 14:01, Gert Doering wrote:

>Our 256 Mb-boxes run at about 50-55 Mb free right now (12.2(18)S, 12.2(25)S
>will leave less free mem).  From my gut feeling, I'd say that as soon as
>the routing table reaches 200.000 routes, these boxes will run out of RAM,
>and subsequently will start flapping BGP sessions, disabling CEF, and
>doing "unplanned" things.
>
>The NPE-400 can go to 512 Mb DRAM, so it's "just" a matter of money.

I've also heard (but been unable to verify) that Engine 0 and 1 line
cards for the GSR won't be able to take a full routing table past a
certain point, which I know if it's true is going to cause a lot of
larger ISPs issues.

I remember when the 3640 first came out you could run a full BGP feed on
it. That was, however, a long time ago...

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time