[c-nsp] Setting "weight 255" as default for customer BGP with uRPF strict

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Sun Nov 21 21:06:59 EST 2004

Pete,

weight is the sledge hammer that will cause the FIB to have an
adjacency with the customers interface, iregardless that this router
sees a better localpref to another iBGP peer.

Customer Router C connects to your Router A and  your Router B.
Customer sets localpref to 100 on network A to router A, and 70 on
network B to router A
Customer sets localpref to 100 on network B to router B, and 70 on
network A to router B

Router A and  Router B are iBGP peers.

Router A has uRPF strict turned on.  It will have an entry in its FIB
for network A to Router C, and network B to Router B.
If it receives packets from network B, from Router C (very possible),
it will drop them, because uRPF thinks the reverse path is Router B,
and so traffic for network B should only come from router B.

weight fixes this.

brian