GSRs and growing bgp tables WAS:AW: [c-nsp] Growing BGP tables

Gunther Stammwitz gstammw at gmx.net
Mon Nov 22 13:51:57 EST 2004

Hello Neil,

> Neil J. McRae
> Betreff: RE: [c-nsp] Growing BGP tables
>
> Engine 0 and Engine 1 have this problem [and enough other
> problems that you should pull them out asap they are totally
> useless cards same is true for Engine 2 also [esp the gige
> card] IMO].

When referring to the gige card do you mean the GE-GBIC-SC-B ?
As far as I know that's the latest gige card for the gsr family.

> Early GRP cards have a 256M limit, mostly A's but some B's
> also we've found. The good news is that the PRP-2 seems to
> work as a direct replacement with 12.0-27.S3 without any
> issues [at least in our env].

I have a gsr8/40 with an ordinary GRP (the fist version / a-version) that
has only 256Megs of ram and runs 3 full views. currently there are 27479020b
free so I can hold about 200.000 routes I'd expect. Soft-reconfiguration is
disabled of course since this would cost about 10 to 15 MB Ram.

The limit might be my ge-gbic-sc-b card since it has only 128MB route
memory.
  FRU:  Linecard/Module: GE-GBIC-SC-B=
        Route Memory: MEM-GRP/LC-128=
        Packet Memory: MEM-LC1-PKT-512=
On the linecard itself there are 10759088 bytes free so that's 10 MB and so
I'm going hit the limit sooner or later. Argh.

Looks like I'll have to filter out all those nasty /24 and /23s.

I'm currently looking for another Cisco.
What would you say: GRP with 256MB or GRP-B with 512MB?
GE-GBIC-SC or GE-GBIC-SC-B. Both have 128MB but can be upgraded to 256MB. Is
that necessary... And what do you think: when will this happen?

Thanks,
Gunther