GSRs and growing bgp tables WAS:AW: [c-nsp] Growing BGP tables

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 23 05:24:11 EST 2004

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 10:10:31AM -0000, Neil J. McRae wrote:
> What is somewhat dissapointing is that Cisco must realise that there
> are millions of routers with inadequate memory out their and I've

What a wonderful business opportunity, isn't it?

> not seen much in the way of communicating how acutely critical
> this issue is.

This is something Cisco sales seems to have missed...

(Sorry for the rant.  I still feel that 256 Mb of memory on a line card
is way overkill, and more reasonable data structures should be able to
handle 200.000 routes with far less memory footprint - assuming 100 bytes
per FIB entry, that's just 20 Mbyte... - so this whole issue must be
somewhat sales-driven)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de