[c-nsp] C2691-BGP Scanning process.

Montes, Carlos M carlos.m.montes at boeing.com
Wed Nov 24 09:30:38 EST 2004

I have three Cisco 2691 routers, each with a single T-1 circuit connected to and ISP.  I see that the BGP Scanning process causes the CPU to spike up 100% every 15 seconds or so.  When this happens and I PING through the T-1's out to the directly attached router at the ISP, the ping round trip increases from about 4 ms to 400 ms.
We are accepting the full routing table and no default routes or networks.  Shouldn't these routers be able to handle BGP without affecting their performance?  They all have 256MB of RAM.
Any suggestions on what to do different here?  I considered asking the ISP's for default routes and filter everything else, or simply just ask them for a default route, but it seems a shame not to be able to choose the shortest BGP path instead of just following a default.  I kind of like the full routing table.

Carlos