[c-nsp] BGP max paths

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Nov 24 16:55:35 EST 2004

We have talekd many times about how the routing
protocols do not affect
load distribution of traffic over links (other than
variance with EIGRP) and one could probably now argue
OER.

How traffic is forwarded over links is governed
by what switching path you use and how that switching
path is configured.

max paths just allows the routing protocol to insert
X number of equal cost routes in the routing table
so that the forwarding engine has them available to
make a forwading decision.  It's up to the forwarding
engine to determine which path is taken.

Search back over the archives for a post I did about
a month ago that went in to how this works in a detailed
manner.

Rodney