[c-nsp] Growing BGP tables

Krzysztof Adamski k at adamski.org
Wed Nov 24 22:33:58 EST 2004

Maybe there are some Livingston engineers around who did BGP on the
Portmaster3 that can give some ideas on memory usage.
 From what I remember the PM3 was able to fit two full views (back
then about 100k routes each) into 32MB of RAM.

The minimum amount of space needed to store 140k routes is 1.6MB (4
bytes for network, 4 bytes for netmask, 4 bytes for destination).
The overhead per route must be huge.