[c-nsp] tftp IOS image using 3CServer

Ian Dickinson ian.dickinson at pipex.net
Thu Nov 25 07:43:32 EST 2004

Tim Franklin wrote:
> The problem arises from the fact that TFTP uses 16-bit sequence numbers on
> the blocks, and doesn't have any mechanism for wrapping them.  Block are 512
> bytes, so you either get 16M (32K blocks) or 32M (64K blocks), depending on
> whether your daemon believes the sequence number is signed or unsigned.
>
> 'copy http://my.internal.server/image.bin flash:' is very much your friend
> :)  Not even the password fun associated with FTP...

Avoiding password fun has some benefits, it's true, but 12.0(30)S
doesn't have http: support...

I prefer 'copy scp://' myself.  You can also trigger via CONFIG-COPY-MIB
if you need to as well, or with the correct exec permissions you can
scp from your bastion instead.  Lovely.  I had to learn the alternatives
when doing 12.2SXB, which on SUP2/MSFC2 is 35Mb.  TFTP is dead, long
live authenticated TCP-based file transfer :-)
--
Ian Dickinson
Development Engineer
ian.dickinson at pipex.net