[c-nsp] Failover with 3550-SMI

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Thu Nov 25 12:42:23 EST 2004

Ther ewas a discussion not to long ago on this list about using private ip address between routers for running HSRP, take a look in the archives. Basically the HSRP'd address is the public IP used as the default and the 2 router (or switches) use private ip's to communicate. That way you don't waste space.
As for the solutions 1 and 2 give you full redundancy whereas with number 3 the router becomes your single point of failure.
The 3550's only support 16 HSRP groups so be carefull if you need more the 3750s will do more (32 I think)

Brian