[c-nsp] Best way to get off Bogon list?

Majid Farid MajidFarid at TelecomOttawa.com
Thu Nov 25 14:31:42 EST 2004

Exactly what Jon said. It's a nightmare trying to connecting each
provider and telling them to update their filters. I struggled with IBM
for 3 days and was only able to get the Canadian part of their network
to unfiltered.

Majid Farid
Telecom Ottawa Limited.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Lewis [mailto:jlewis at lewis.org]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 12:26 PM
To: Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN
Cc: Majid Farid; cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: RE: [c-nsp] Best way to get off Bogon list?

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN wrote:

> inform your upstreams that your addy space is no longer part
> of the bogon space and request that the same be requested of
> the upstream providers. if you have any subs then do the same.
>
> nothing besides the upstreams allowance will solve the problem

That's so not the solution.  The problem isn't Majid's upstreams.  It's
the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of networks (some of which are service
providers, some are simply end users) that have staticly configured
bogon
filters nobody's updated for years, or in some cases nobody still
employed
even knows about them.  As I mentioned in the web pages at
69box.atlantic.net, getting these filters fixed required contacting each
network, and in some cases being pushed around from contact to contact
looking for the one who actually knew how to make changes to the
filters.
After dealing with the largest / highest profile ones (things like NASA
and .mil nets and a few /16 networks) I gave up and decided reachability
from 69/8 was good enough to put customers and servers in it.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |