[c-nsp] OC-3 to GigE conversion...

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Tue Nov 30 22:25:44 EST 2004

> Looking for suggestions on how to convert OC-3/OC-12 to GigE.  Media
> Converters?  Cheaper router interfaces/chassis?

You can't do it with a media converter since the framing on OC-x is
totally different from gigE. You'll have to use some kind of router or at
least a switch that can map ethernet frames into SONET.

I'm only really familiar with the OC3 and OC12 blades for the GSRs, which
of course also support gigE blades. There are also OC3 and OC12 blades for
the catalyst switches, but I think those only support ATM and not POS.

     -Bill