[c-nsp] Q: L2 vs. L3 High Availability

John Ferriby john at ferriby.com
Tue Nov 30 22:58:07 EST 2004

We've been using a high-availability configuration using
dual switches in a switch-fault-tolerant configuration.
Rapid PVST+ and Intel adapters on the servers in using
Intel's Adapter teaming software.

We're considering going to an L3 multihomed configuration
where the servers advertise (by way of OSPF) an "internal"
network via the multiple adapters and then using HSRP on
nearby L3 switches.

Anybody else been through this configuration?  We're looking
to build a more stable, controllable fail-safe environment.
The L2 environment fails-over very rapidly, but the level
of control and detection seems pretty rudimentary.

We've been referring to the following Cisco doc:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns304/c649/cdccont_0
900aecd800ea162.pdf

-John