[c-nsp] OSPF NSSA Question

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Mon Oct 4 02:53:24 EDT 2004

Some comments here:

I don't see much of an issue with 100 routers within the area, assuming
that the inter-area links (the links connecting the 3550 to the 6509)
are stable so we don't need to run SPF too often.
The overhead of 100 areas per 6509 is pretty large, we'd need to
maintain 100 area databases, etc. I wouldn't do it. You can still
segment your access area into a handful of areas, but I'd consider 100,
50 or even 20 way too large..

Flapping customer routes are Type-7 routes coming and going. This will
not trigger an expensive full-SPF.
How many routing up/down events are you expecting per second? I don't
know if "IP Event Dampening" feature is supported on the 3550, this
could help for constantly flapping interfaces..

The # of unicast routes a 3550 can support depends on some other
factors, please check out
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/1214ea1/3550sc
g/swadmin.htm#47446. But with 2400 customers (100*24) per area (assuming
all 100 routers within the area) and 2-3 routes per customer we are
still well below the default template number of 12000 routes. But if you
are really expecing a large four digit number of customer routes, iBGP
is more suitable, IGPs are generally not designed for a very large # of
routes.

Be aware that there will be only one NSSA ABR (i.e. one 6509) which
translates Type-7 to Type-5 and floods them within your area 0/backbone.
This will impact load-sharing capabilities from the backbone into your
NSSA area which might blow your capacity planning.

Some folks mentioned EIGRP: Make sure you know what route flaps can do
in an EIGRP network, in this case you might want to investigate features
which limit the query boundary like EIGRP stub or summarization.

my 2c

	oli

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net <> wrote on Monday, October 04, 2004
3:01 AM: