[c-nsp] VRF question

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Oct 7 13:21:26 EDT 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 jcvaraillon at dolnet.gr wrote:

> I have a backbone of four routers:
>
>         2 Border routers connected to two differnet ISPs,
>         2 internal routers in the same LAN as the border routers.
>         Each internal router is a route-reflector client of one border router.
>         There is an iBGP between the border router.
>         OSPF is running amon the four routers, on that LAN.
>
> Would it be an improvment to set-up a VRF between each routers?
> Would this allow me to use the fast switching method of MPLS ?

A VRF is a separate virtual routing instance within a router, with its own
routing and forwarding tables.  Unless there is some level of traffic
separation that you need, setting up VRFs or MPLS probably won't do you
much good.  Without knowing more about your architecture and needs, this
is just a general statement.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the fast switching method of MPLS", but
from what you've described about your network, I'd think that enabling CEF
on those four routers should help them run more efficiently, if it isn't
running already.  Fast switching and MPLS are two completely separate
things.

jms