[c-nsp] VRF question

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Oct 7 13:40:49 EDT 2004

> The raw switching improvement isn't that much at
> all anyway and once you do MPLS you can't do
> a lot of other features that are done on IP
> packets so you lose some functionality.

As Eric Osborne commented on the mpls-ops at mplsrc.com list
(http://www.cell-relay.com/mhonarc/mplsrc/2004-Sep/msg00089.html):

"MPLS is *no faster* than IP, and anyone who markets it as such either
has a lousy IP implementation or lousy marketing people.  There may
well have been some kind of marketing spin like that in 1996 (heck,
cisco may have even done that - I dunno, it's before my time), but
show me anyone in the last, oh, half-decade or so who makes a speed
argument.".

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no