[c-nsp] 2 x 3550 with HSRP

Novice vkasturi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 21:32:19 EDT 2004

Hi,

With regds to the below config mentioned dont we have to have authentication
configured on both ends. Thats how i remember it, bcox authentication is to
ensure that we dont exchange HSRP messages with any other device.

Also with rgds to the "preempt" option, i dont know if we really need
to and is a good pract to have it on Switch A as shown below. When
Switch A goes down Switch B preempts and becomes active, but depending
on the situation and policies one may not want to disturb the active
router (Switch B now) to make Switch A active. If this is the case
then "preempt" option is only needed on Switch B and not on switch A.
But if one wants to make Switch A active when it comes back up (and
not Switch B) then use preempt on both.

Switch A - Primary

interface Vlan 6
ip address y.y.y.y
standby 1 priority 110 preempt
standby 1 ip x.x.x.x
standby 1 authentication

Switch B - Secondary

interface Vlan 6
ip address z.z.z.z
standby 1 authentication

Correct me if needed.

HTH.

Kasturi.

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:08:29 +0000, rwcrowe at comcast.net
<rwcrowe at comcast.net> wrote:
> Sorry correction included:
>
> Yes you need to have an HSRP config under each VLAN interface that you want it to participate in. Yes they support ( I believe) 255 HSRP groups.
>
> Switch A - Primary
>
> interface Vlan 6
> ip address y.y.y.y
> standby 1 priority 110 preempt
> standby 1 ip x.x.x.x
> standby 1 authentication
>
> Switch B - Secondary
>
> interface Vlan 6
> ip address z.z.z.z
>

> standby 1 priority 100 preempt
> standby 1 ip x.x.x.x
> standby 1 authentication
>
> You can also tweak the timers for faster failover and configure interface tracking if needed. See http://tinyurl.com/3tuak
> --
> Rob Crowe
> rwcrowe at comcast.net

> > >From the research I've done, I've confirmed that you can take two 3550
> > switches and use HSRP.
> >
> > However, I want a sanity check.
> >
> > For HSRP to work, I will need to setup HSRP for each VLAN.
> > If I have 6 VLANs, then I will need to have 6 HSRP configurations?
> > Do the 3550's support having HSRP for each VLAN?
> >
> > If anyone has sanitized configs they want to send, they would be
> > appreciated. Unfortunately I don't have 3550's in my test environment, and
> > will have to set this up on production switches.
> >
> > Dave

With regards,