[c-nsp] Schedular Allocate

David Luyer david at luyer.net
Sun Oct 10 20:12:38 EDT 2004

> Here is a link:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps718/products_command_ref
> erence_chapter09186a008007dd4f.html#1041658
>
> The above should explain you quiet a bit about it. Normally, scheduler
> allocate should be used on routers that switch a lot of traffic.
> I am not sure, but I think you dont need to keep this command live all
> the time. Should be used only during heavy loads.
>
> Guys, correct me if I am wrong.

On a busy, CPU-based router (eg. 7206VXR as a DSL LNS), a moderate
"scheduler allocate" (eg. scheduler allocate 3600 400) may help as a
permanent setting.

If your router is *really* under load (and has a lot of free RAM), it
might also help to nail down the buffer counts so it doesn't have to
worry about memory allocation.

eg:
	buffers small permanent 3072
	buffers small max-free 3072
	buffers middle permanent 4096
	buffers middle max-free 4096
	buffers big permanent 512
	buffers big max-free 512
	buffers verybig permanent 128
	buffers verybig max-free 128
	buffers large permanent 16
	buffers large max-free 16
	buffers huge permanent 16
	buffers huge max-free 16

(these are very specific to the features you use - "show buffers"
tells you if you're exceeding the buffers you've allocated)

David.