[c-nsp] PPPoE termination on 2620

Siva Valliappan svalliap at cisco.com
Mon Oct 11 16:42:52 EDT 2004

> According to my sources, under 12.2T, 12.3, and 12.3T, the number of
> IDBs goes to 800 (from the 300 you mentioned in previous releases) on
> the 2600 platform.
>
> Does a PPPoE(oE) interface eat one IDB, or two?  I'm doing some
> similar stuff (running PPPoE(oE) on

one per virtual access interface.  so if you have multiple PPPoE sessions
terminating in a single VLAN or ATM subint, each PPPoE session will
consume 1, and the VLAN or ATM subint will consume 1 more.

so for N PPPoE sessions, you will use N+1 IDBs in the above scenario.

that said in recent code it's possible to do PPPoE termination over
VLAN interfaces without using an IDB for the PPPoE session.

cheers
.siva