[c-nsp] ip route-cache

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Oct 14 13:43:32 EDT 2004

hi,

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 01:17:45PM -0400, Rodney Dunn wrote:
> Post 12.2(25)S code is totally different from a switching
> path perspective.
[..]
> You can do it per interface and match on an ACL with
> very little to no performance impact.  The other interfaces
> that don't have the debug applied take *no* performance
> hit with the debug enabled.  We view this as a small step
> forward in helping the user debug packet forwarding problems.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.  Sorry for yelling, but that's GREAT stuff.

This is exactly what "debug ip packet" never properly did - there's
a "debug ip filter" but that never did what I tried to achieve, and also
it only worked with process switching.

(Unfortunately, we're unlikely to move to 12.2(25)S any time soon.  The
images have grown quite a lot, and 256 Mb boxes with BGP and 12.2(18)S
are already down to 40 Mb "Free" [vs. 60 Mb on 12.2(14)S!] - so I fear
12.2(25)S is going to bring with it an upgrade to 512 Mb DRAM, which
needs budget...)

[..]
> If you have additional ideas on things that you think
> would make the box more troubleshootable in production
> feel free to forward the ideas to me.

I'll certainly give this a good thought :-)

A fair number of things have already appeared (like "ACL logging telling
you the sequence number that matched", so you know *which* statement
dropped the packet, without going through all of them).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de