[c-nsp] GigE cards for 6509

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 02:48:11 EDT 2004

On 15/10/2004 03:57, Tim Stevenson wrote:

> Yikes! Lots of misunderstandings here folks!
>
> Clarifying the architecture of 6148-GETX first of all. It is a classic
> card, no fabric - so the 8G is not correct, you are perhaps thinking
> of the fabric enabled (6548-GETX) version.
>
> However, both 6148-GETX & 6548-GETX are 8:1 oversubscribed, which
> means you will NEVER get more than 6G out of these cards. There are 2
> backplane interface ASICs, which are each 4x1G chips, but only 3x1G is
> used on each. Each 1G port on these chips connects to another ASIC (a
> mux so to speak) servicing 8 front panel ports. So 8 front panel ports
> share 1G of bandwidth, and there are 6 groups of 8 ports (contiguous,
> so 1-8, 9-16, etc).

So despite being a CEF256 card, the 6548-GE-TX can still only manage
6Gb/s? If so, what's the advantage of using a 6548 over a 6148?

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time