[c-nsp] Customer Facing Interfaces: Policing vs. Shaping

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Tue Oct 19 06:18:58 EDT 2004

Hello,

If I want to deliver 1 Mbps to a customer who has an E1, I usually use
"traffic-shape rate" because "rate-limit output" causes packet losses and
gives terrible performance - I would be at 600kbps or something on a FTP
transfer (1000 kbps during one 5-second interval, and 400 kbps during the
next - I can send you STG screenshots if you want). Now, the impact on
several streams rather than one may be less terrible.

But shaping the incoming traffic is not possible afaik - I usually shape
output traffic on some other interface that matches the upstream traffic of
the customer (with ACLs and "traffic-shape group") if necessary.

HTH