[c-nsp] Re: backup quandry

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Oct 21 12:38:22 EDT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Roger Weeks wrote:

> Two issues came up:
>
> 1.	If I want SSH 2 support, I have to go with 12.3T code.  It's ED code
> and that makes me nervous especially on border routers with ATM.
>
> 2.  If I wasn 12.3T code on on any of the routers besides the 7206, I
> have to upgrade the internal RAM and Flash.  For example, 12.3T11 for a
> 3640 takes up 24MB of space.  The internal Flash is at 16MB, and the
> PCMCIA slot in these routers only takes up to a MAX of 20MB cards (WTF,
> Cisco?!?).

You need a PCMCIA "disk" available in 48MB and presumably larger sizes.
Boot ROM also needs to be the latest to support this.  Fits in the same
PCMCIA slots as the flash.  I don't think it's a real "disk" with moving
parts, but flash formatted to appear as a disk.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/