[c-nsp] backup quandry

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Thu Oct 21 14:03:07 EDT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Brian Turnbow wrote:

> 3) as you mention a routing protocol, you don't necessarily need to run
> it over the DSL line but can set it up with floating statics for backup

That's interesting...  On the CPE I could do a floating static default -
if the T1 went down the primary default route would disappear.  On our end
I could do OSPF *only* on the T1 with a floating static towards the DSL
connection.  If the T1 went down, the OSPF route would be withdrawn and
the static route would take over.  Hmmm...  That sounds like a winner.

We would have to ditch the Netopias in favor of the Cisco 172x (Netopia
doesn't do ospf), but I think Covad is only charging $200 more for the
Cisco.

Thanks!

Charles