[c-nsp] Access List Problem

Paul Stewart pauls at nexicom.net
Thu Oct 21 14:22:23 EDT 2004

We are trying to filter traffic using a basic access list on an
interface (6509 Catalyst Native IOS).

Here's the interface config:

interface FastEthernet4/41
 description XXXXXXXXXXX
 ip address XXXXXXXXXX 255.255.255.248
 ip access-group 120 out
 logging event link-status
 logging event bundle-status
 speed 100
 duplex full
 no cdp enable

And the access list:

access-list 120 permit tcp any any established
access-list 120 permit tcp any host XXXXXXXXXX eq www
access-list 120 permit tcp any host XXXXXXXXXX eq 1002
access-list 120 permit tcp any host XXXXXXXXXX eq 3389
access-list 120 permit tcp any host XXXXXXXXXX eq 443
access-list 120 deny   ip any any log

The traffic coming in from the Internet is filtered and only the 4 ports
work fine.  No issues with that.

Now, if I'm sitting on the server I can't surf or anything to the
outside world... something we need to do...

What am I missing here?  I've tried an access list 121 applied opposite
that is "permit ip any any" but no difference...  I thought the
"established" statement would look after my needs...??

Thanks,

Paul