[c-nsp] Feedback on Network Analysis Module for Cat6509

Volodymyr Yakovenko vovik at dumpty.org
Thu Oct 21 19:14:42 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 11:10:44AM -0500, Bob Fraser wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I would be interested in any feedback or thoughts on Cisco's Network
>Analysis Module for the Catalyst 6509.
>
>I'm particularly interested in what, if any, third party tools you may
>use to collect statistics from the NAM and display them.   Also, any
>thoughts on alternatives to the NAM would be useful as well.

NAM inside looks like LinuxPC with some preinstalled software.

It is able to perform some analysis using 6500 internal SPAN sessions.
It is also able to perform some basic Netflow analysis (Netflow could
be originated inside chassis as well as from any other network device).

So NAM is not intended for forwarding traffic information for analysis to
external tools. It is analyzer by itself.

>Thanks,
>
>Bob Fraser

Regards,
Volodymyr.