[c-nsp] Cisco 6509 Software Modes

Nauwelaerts, Nick (CM Belgium) nick.nauwelaerts at thomson.com
Mon Oct 25 04:53:30 EDT 2004

Have you checked out this page:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_
white_paper09186a00800c8441.shtml

It has a nice comparison of CatOS vs IOS on 6500's.

There's nothing solid on perfomance in there as far as I can tell. One
think that I did notice is that CatOS seems to to lack support for dcef,
which could mean a major performance difference with newer linecards.
We're running IOS on our 6513 with supervisor 720 and are very happy
with performance. We push about 2gigabit/sec sustained through our vlans
and up to 5gigabit/sec at peak times, switching perfomance seems
linerate as well (WS-X6748-GE-TX & WS-X6724-SFP linecards).

// nick